The World Malaria Report (WMR) 2020 was released by World Health Organisation (WHO). The report have highlighted the estimated cases for malaria across the world on the basis of mathematical projections.
Key Findings of the report
- The report highlights that, India has made significant progress in reducing its malaria burden.
- As per the report, India is the only high endemic country that has reported a decline of cases by 17.6% in 2019 as compared to 2018.
- It also highlights that, the Annual Parasitic Incidence (API) has reduced by 18.4% in 2019 as compared to 2018.
- India also shows the largest drop in the malaria cases region-wide. Cases have reduced from 20 million to about 6 million.
- The percentage drop in the malaria cases is 71.8%.
- India’s Malaria Morbidity has also decreased by 83.34%. Thus, it has achieved Goal 6 of the Millennium Development Goals that has set target to reduce the case by 50-75% between 2000 and 2019.
States of Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Meghalaya and Madhya Pradesh accounted for nearly 45% of malaria cases and 70% of falciparum Malaria cases in 2019. 63.64% of malaria deaths were also accounted by these states.
How the targets were achieved?
Malaria Elimination efforts were started in 2015. In the line, The ministry of health and family welfare launched the National Framework for Malaria Elimination (NFME) in 2016. Further, National Strategic Plan for Malaria Elimination was launched in July, 2017 that suggested strategies for the year 2017-2022. The government has also distributed about 5 crores in 7 North-East States, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha up to 2018-19 as a part of rapid diagnostics Long Lasting Insecticidal Nets (LLINs). It further plans to distribute 2.25 crore LLINs.
Initiative by WHO
WHO has started the High Burden to High Impact (HBHI) initiative. This initiative has been started in 11 high malaria burden countries, including India. India is currently implementing this initiative in four states namely, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh.